Thai Inspired Roast Beef Panini
Ok, its Time to play catch up! Believe it or not I make food all the time and take photos of the food I make. They are piling up on my computer. It’s time to “Release the Kraken” so to speak. Ill start back in December and work my way back up to the previous latke post. Ready
Hi! and welcome back!! As you may or may not know I enjoy me some Thai food. Not all Thai food just a few dozen things. This panini I put together is no exception. It has crunch, sweetness, and spiciness. When I was in Thailand I had dinner at a restaurant where I ordered a beef dish that was marinated in this spicy concoction. The beef they served was over cooked and yet still delicious. So as I chewed, and chewed, and chewed the beef my mind immediately went to overdrive. I came up with the idea of marinating deli roast beef in this mix 7 yeas ago. Why it took this long to come to fruition is beyond me. I guess I was busy getting married and having twins. Yes that’s my excuse!
Anyway this was prepared for my Dentist, Dan, who is a regular client of mine. He let’s me make whatever I want and allows me to be creative. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Very easy to make and only needs to marinade for 30 minutes.
- 3 red Thai chillies, seeds removed, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 piece ginger, (3cm)chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce, (nam pla)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 limes, juice
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin or white wine
- 2 tbsp safflower oil
- 2 tbsp basil
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
For the beef
- 500 g good quality deli roast beef
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp coarsely ground peppercorns
- sliced tomatoes
- caramelized onions
- brie slices
- fresh basil, Thai basil if available
For the coriander salsa verde
- 1 bunches coriander
- 1 bunches mint
- 1 bunches basil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 limes, juice
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 piece ginger, (2cm)
1. Place all the marinade ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
2. Rub the beef with salt and pepper before pouring over the marinade. Put the beef and the marinade in an air-tight plastic bag and leave for at least 30 minutes or est if overnight in a cool place.
3.in a hot saute pan put marinated roast beef. Be sure to shake off any big chunks of marinade. cook till hot 1 minute.
4. Now make the salsa. Tip all the salsa ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. Taste for seasoning and serve at room temperature with the hot roast beef. Add tomato slices, onions, Brie and basil. Top with bread and cook in panini maker.